Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Reason that I'm Here


During the last blog I think that I was more excited that I had finally made it to Australia than anything. It still seems surreal that I am half-way across that world. I guess because I have never been out of the country, it still doesn’t feel real to me. The sky is still just as blue since the first day that I arrived. You know how when you go to the beach and its pretty and you’re excited, but then the next day it is raining and its just not so pretty anymore? I really don’t think that I will find that a problem here in Oz. Everytime that I take a walk on the beach I see something different and exciting. I think that it is better than I ever could have possibly imagined.
Now that I have had a little bit of time to observe and reflect on exactly why I am here, I decided that I should write about it. My decision to come to Australia was based on several factors. 1: being a biology major it would be very difficult to study bio in Spanish. 2: I needed to go somewhere that would offer the science courses that I needed, and 3: I wanted to go somewhere that was somewhat different from the US. That narrowed my choices down to Australia and New Zealand. My decision from that point was based off of courses offered and the surrounding climate.
In the meantime, someone introduced me to a guy that lived for a year in Australia. He had the opportunity to travel all around the country and live in several regions, but the one thing that he said that stuck with me was that Australians tend to be more free-spirited and happier than many Americans. When I thought of Australia as my host country, I thought of what he told me about how the lifestyle was very different from the Americans and I figured that there was something that could be learned and appreciated from the Aussies.
As I aspire to become a healthcare professional, I will need some of the personality traits that these Aussies have and cherish. Something must be said about a happier and healthier country. Something must be said about an indigenous people that still hold the longest documented civilization in the history of the world. Something must be said about a people that have learned to live on the driest continent on Earth. So here I am… coming to find out what it is the Aussies have, that Americans do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment